So Tell Me What You Want, What You Really, Really Want
Yes, I am still available starting 2019-10-01.
Feel free to contact me any means available (except WhatsApp) or via email at job4martin<commercial at>leyrer.priv.at for my CV or any other information.
Over the last few interviews and communications I had, a few things became clearer to me, on what I would like to have with a job and also, what not. To list a few:
- I prefer customer facing roles (Architect, Services) over over solely internal roles
- I would love to have an international job again. I love travel, I love working with a competent, diverse team on challenging projects. The number of those in Austria are „rather limited”. Or, to paraphrase Ex-Vice-Chancellor Hubert Gorbach: „The world in Austria is too small”.
- I would like to stay within the Austrian social security system instead of starting in a foreign one
- Same goes for taxes, but that would be more negotiable
- But, given enough money, both above mentioned points are of course open for discussion ;)
- I would prefer to stay in a technical role, although a few good friends of mine suggested that „beyond 40, you should move on to a managerial/administrative role, as the ‘young people’ run circles around you”. I beg to differ, and as roetzi rightfully said „it’s easier to switch from a technical into a manager role then vice versa”. I still have fun learning new stuff, I am good at it, so I will try to stay at it.
A topic I still haven’t found a satisfying answer for yet is „relocation”. citizen428, CTO at Lockstep Labs, and a very good friend of mine always gives me a friendly teasing about this and the reminder, that I should finally move to Bangkok.
I am not sure, if I am just content and at ease living in the city with the highest quality of living, or too afraid of moving to where the more interesting projects are (and I am not talking about Berlin!).
So for now, I prefer to have my homebase, my „home” in Vienna, Austria.
I also had an interesting encounter with a „Headhunter” I contacted on the recommendation of a friends friend. Apparently, he never read my blogposts and got stuck on my CV on the „Lotus/IBM/HCL Domino” part.
The first thing that came to my mind in that situation were the famous 20th century poets „Spice Girls”:
If you want my future
Forget my past
If you wanna get with me
Better make it fast
Now don’t go wasting
My precious time
Get your act together we could be just fine
Not surprisingly, I withdrew my request to use his services. ;)
I can almost hear your question now in my head: „So tell me what you want. what you really, really want?”. And I’ll tell you what I want, what I really, really want:
I wanna really, really
really wanna „Zig A Zag Ahhhh”
As Spice Girl Mel B once explained: „EVERYBODY needs a zig-a-zag-ah, and it’s whatever you want it to be.” And this also perfectly sums up my quest for „the next big thing” that I haven’t found yet. So please, keep your suggestions, comments, input coming!