Upgrade to Vista - addendum
Two addendums to my „Upgrade from Vista to XP” post:
- Open Explorer.
- Create a new folder called ‘Documents and Settings’ in your desired drive.
- Create a new profile with administrative permission and call it „move”.
- Logoff then logon to the „move” account.
- Copy all the folders inside ‘C:\Documents and Settings' (except the ‘LocalService’, ‘NetworkService’, and ‘move’ folders) to the new location. (The LocalService and NetworkService folders will be re-created automatically.)
- Open the Registry Editor and Find & Replace all instances of „\Documents and Settings" as well as „Dokumente und Einstellungen”, including variants like:
- ‘\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and Settings'
- ‘%SystemRoot%\Documents and Settings'
- ‘%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings'
- Shutdown your computer, wait 30 seconds and turn it on.
- Logon to the ‘move’ account.
- Repeat step 6.
- Reboot and logon to your original account.
- Test by renaming the ‘\Documents and Settings' folder in drive C. If you can rename it then it worked!
- If everything’s OK, you can delete the ‘move’ account you created before.