Howard Rheingold explains 21st Century Literacies
Howard Rheingold is a critic and writer; his specialties are on the cultural, social and political implications of modern communication media such as the Internet, mobile telephony and virtual communities (a term he is credited with inventing). The literacies he talks about:
- crtical consumption (aka. „crap detection”)
- network awareness
- I don’t believe in this myth of the ‘digital natives’, who are magically empowered and fluent because they carry laptops, they are never far from their phones, they are gamers …
- A lot of literature in sociology, going back decades before the Internet is now beginning to make a lot of sense in understanding what happens online.
- Whom are you going to allow in your attention? Who is taking up your mindspace? It’s your choice!
- On RSS-Feeds and Twitter:
It’s not a queue! It’s a flow! … You need to learn to sample the flow. … There’s a triage-skill involved in this kind of literacy.