Grml 2010.04 - codename Grmlmonster
Grml is a bootable live system (Live-CD) based on Debian. It includes a collection of GNU/Linux software especially for system administrators and users of texttools. Grml provides automatic hardware detection. You can use Grml (for example) as a rescue system, for analyzing systems/networks or as a working environment. It is not necessary to install anything to a harddisk; you don’t even need a harddisk to run it. Due to on-the-fly decompression Grml includes about 2 GB of software and documentation on the CD.
Special new features:
- vnc bootoption: booting with vnc=yourpassword and the startx bootoption automatically starts the vnc service for user ‘grml’ using graphical remote access with provided password
- dmraid related bootoptions: nodmraid to not enable present dmraid devices, dmraid=on to automatically enable any present dmraid devices and dmraid=off to actively try to stop any possibly present dmraid devices.
- New bootoption bootid for improving reliability of boot process. The specified argument to the bootoption is matched against a token on the ISO to make sure that only the correct Grml version gets booted.
- More robust network booting: The last Grml release (2009.10) already invented the ethdevice= bootoption which allows you to specify a specific NIC for booting. The bootoption ethdevice and its surrounding code has been extended so it is possible to specify multiple devices at once that should be configured. If you don’t have any specific configuration all present NICs will be used for configuration via DHCP automatically. Visit the Grml developer blog for further information
- Providing an improved default configuration for top(1) utility when running as (non-root) user
- Improved serial console handling through /etc/inittab*. Using normal getty instead of mgetty and several baud rate settings (115200,57600,38400,19200,9600,4800,2400,1200) to let getty figure out which mode should be used.
- Reworked xinitrc handling: modularize the code into ~/.xinitrc.d/ and support configuration through ~/.config/grml/xinitrc.
New features in Grml’s Zsh
- new function changed()
- zshrc: map backtab to reverse-menu-complete
- smarter C-z shortcut
- Switch `minimal-shell()’ from ksh93 to mksh
- Use wrapper functions for changing title/screen
- Some minor bugfixes and code enhancements
Tagged as: grml, linux, software, tools | Author: Martin Leyrer
[Samstag, 20100501, 20:36 | permanent link | 0 Kommentar(e)
Comments are closed for this story.